Wednesday, May 6, 2009

I'm not Superman (mom)

The TV show S*C*R*U*B*S often makes me chuckle. I don't watch it regularly but when I catch a bit, it's good for a laugh. Anyway, the title of this entry is the theme song from that show - a catchy little ditty that is always stuck in my head LOL.


Our family is not large by some standards but having 5 kids these days is definitely not the norm. The reactions we get from people have run the gammet from disgust to awe. The obvious comments have all come our way - "are they all yours?", "you do know what causes that, don't you?", "better you than me", and "God bless you" (like we have the plague instead of children). There have also been some very nice and encouraging things said, too. They usually came just at the time that I needed that word of encouragement :0). Inevitably, I will get asked "how do you do it?" Well, the simple answer is but by the grace of God. We are seeking to raise our kids to know and love God with all their heart, mind, soul & strength. By throwing a little common sense in the mix, we hope to get them to adulthood ;0). I have had the term "superwoman/mom" thrown my way but I am not. I am simply doing what I need to each and everyday - and not always very graciously.

I have left my youngest child in the car...twice. Granted, it was in the driveway at home for not more than 10 minutes. Both times the windows were down but I still felt like the worst mother alive. There are other times I wish I could turn back time and make a different parenting choice but I can't. All I can do is turn to God, seek his wisdom and guidance and ask for his (and my kids') forgiveness.

So please, don't think I have it all together. I don't. Don't think that I have some kind of mothering superpower. I don't. I do have a Heavenly Father whose mercies are new each day and whose faithfulness is great. I do believe that God won't give us more than we can handle without His help. So we take each day as it comes and each event one at a time.

I'm not Supermom.....but I am a humbled one. Thank you, Father, for blessing us with this gift.

1 comment:

Wendy Paine Miller said...

God's the only superpower we need, right?

Once my daughter dropped down into the carrier basked of the stroller. I thought I lost her on the street somewhere when I heard her cries.

By the GRACE of God!

~ Wendy