Sunday, April 5, 2009

Fireproof

I finally got to see this fantastic movie on Friday evening. I had heard so much about it and was eagerly awaiting this "date night" and was not disappointed. The film is about a couple whose marriage is in great danger of "burning to the ground". Neither party feels respected or appreciated and they are ready to walk away from it all. Hubby is given a challenge from his dad - The Love Dare. It's a 40 day challenge to really love your spouse. Needless to say, it was hard, his heart wasn't in it at first, God came into the picture and changed his heart and from then on the course of the marriage took a different turn.

While watching this movie, I was struck again with how blessed I am to have my husband. 14 years ago, by the grace and wonderful plan of my heavenly father, The Captain came into my life. I love looking back on that time and seeing how God wonderfully orchestrated our whole relationship. I knew on our first date that he was like no other guy I had met (I actually hadn't dated more than 3 people) and when he jokingly proposed that night I was ready to say yes, then and there. It didn't take long for the real thing to happen. How big of a goofball was I when, after only 6 weeks, he really did propose and I actually asked him if he was joking!!! So very glad he didn't recind the proposal LOL.

I am sure our marriage was like many others in the beginning. You learn to merge two individuals into one couple. Compromises on toothpaste and mayo come into play along with how you travel (what do you mean you don't want to drive through the night? That's just how you do it.) We had to overcome money issues and how we spent our social time. We dealt with the heartache of miscarriage and the wait for our family to begin. And once it began it was like a steamroller!! Most of my focus was on the kids because they had so many needs. I was scared that we would raise our children, they would leave home and we would have nothing left in common or to talk about. It happened to so many people that I knew. Would I still be the love of my husband's life or would the "bloom be off the rose"?

Here we now sit, 12.5 years into our marriage and I can't get over how AWESOME it is. We have grown in Christ both individually and together. We have a trust in Him and each other that is almost impossible to put into words. I've actually said to The Captain that I can't it just keeps getting better and better and more fun. He makes me laugh, feel cherished & loved. He is my best friend and the one I can't wait to see each day. I love him so much it hurts my heart to think of there ever being a time that he won't be by my side. I think I have to say that I really love laughing with him the most. All the initial inhibitions that you have as newlyweds have faded. We are comfortable - not like being in a rut - but that "I know I am safe and I trust you with my life" comfortable.

So now, instead of fear and insecurity about what the future holds for us, I look forward to it with joy. I can't wait to hang out on our porch swing and watch the world go by or go out to lunch together just because we are both home. The best will be when our kids all come home with their families and we are all together making new memories. We know that we need to continue to "fireproof" our marriage. Our home is built on Christ the Solid Rock and with Him as our foundation, nothing can move us.

No comments: